Saturday, June 30, 2012

Japanese supermarket

It was 3 times the size of a super Walmart. It was amazing. I got fresh dumplings that we steamed, 30 in a package for 198yen or $2.50. I bought most of my housewares that I need until my household goods show up, which won't be until August sometime. Kol already broke a rice bowl. He dropped it on the tile floor. I will be hitting up the 100yen store for some plastic rice bowls soon.



I got a rice cooker and a water boiler. The boiler keeps your water hot for tea and oatmeal. I will use it mostly for my French press coffee. I had every intention of buying a Keurig when I got here, but off base they are very strict about their garbage and I would have to dismantle every k-cup into 3 pieces and into 3 different garbages. Burnable, plastic and I still haven't figured out where the foil would go. Very complicated sorting. I have to put out garbage almost every day of the week but different things on different days. Plastic water bottles for instance, the cap and plastic label go in plastics and the pet bottle goes in another bag. The bags that you use to put the garbage in are different, we have clear and semi clear. All burnable items go in the semi clear. It is all taken to a communal spot and it has to be out between 6-8am. In the neighborhood everyone is expected to do garbage sorting.  There is a schedule. We are exempt from having to do it, but don't think I can just throw whatever out there. Someone sorts it everyday and if it is not done right they will not take it. It is not hard for them to figure out who is not doing it right either.

Tonight is our first night in our house. It is awesome to have my own room again, however I just noticed our bedroom door has no lock on it. This will be a problem.

1 comment:

  1. i am glad to know you will have your daily french press now. getting through these days alone with the kiddos (even though they are FANTASTIC) in a foreign country without coffee sounds a bit overwhelming. good luck finding a lock for that bedroom door--it sounds necessary to me!

    ReplyDelete