Thursday, June 28, 2012

Kamakura

Hannah and I did the field trip today with the AOB class. The class instructors guided us on the train to Kamakura. There we had lunch. We had sushi again. It was excellent. It really is the only thing I know I can eat that doesn't have ingredients I can't have. I'm sure there are other dishes but I'm waiting until I can speak the language better before I try and navigate that situation.  There are no California rolls though, it is mainly raw fish, which I love. The class leaders then showed us to Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shinto shrine. It was relocated to it's current location by the first Shogun. We were then left to find our own way back. It was our instructors way of ensuring that we all left the base and learned how to navigate the trains, which is not hard at all.
We explored the shrine and then joined some classmates and ventured on another train to see the Great Buddha. At the Buddha we ran into many Japanese school children out on field trips for school who were there to practice their English with us. They all wanted a picture with us and our signatures. It was lots of fun. We practiced some of our Japanese. I will say their English is much better than my Japanese.
We also tried green tea and sweet potato soft serve ice cream. I'm not sure if it is approved for my consumption but I had to try it at least once. We both had it swirled and they were good together but I preferred the sweet potato, Hannah likes both.
The first train coming back was very crowded. No train pushers were needed though. When it gets busy there are lanes on the platform that are used to form lines to wait. There is no pushing or shoving everyone is very polite.
Waiting at the train station
The gate to the Shinto Shrine you walk through to be cleansed
Cleansing my hands before we enter the shrine
The outside of the Temple. No pictures are allowed of the inside. It is a place of worship.
The lanes at the train station
Waiting in line for the train towards Hase where the Great Buddha is.

Hannah and Buddha
The Japanese school children
Getting off the train. It was very busy.
The Japanese public toilet. If you have a good squat, it is more sanitary you don't touch anything.
They do sometimes offer a western stall.

No comments:

Post a Comment